Sunday, January 29, 2012

A belated (but promised) post on Muscle Works

I promised a couple posts ago to write about my muscle works class I've been taking. Here's the scoop.

I was nervous at first to go into the class for a couple of reasons:
1) Can a big girl handle it?
2) Having arthritis in both of my knees, will I die of knee pain?

I'd tried a kick-boxing class before I began all of my personal training 6 months ago, and had to bow out after 10 minutes from the intensity. I was super nervous that it was going to happen again.

I get into the classroom, and the first thing I notice is: THERE'S HARDLY ANY ROOM! The classes are free if you have a gym membership and it's only $5 to drop in for the day. And there's no sign-up necessary. I somehow manage to squeeze myself in between one of my coworkers (my gym is at work), and another lady (who was a big girl, too! Answered my first question!). Because I was running in at the last second, I noticed that everyone had a set of weights, a body bar, and a mat. With so many people in the class, there were no mats left. The only weights they had were 10lbs, and the only body bars available were 15lbs. Not the ideal weights, but my trainer has me working with about that weight, so I'll give it a go.

Class lasted 45 minutes. Grapevining in close quarters was...interesting. I had to be very conscious of not stepping on my, or anyone else's, equipment. I was pleasantly surprised with not only the instructors instructions of "go at your own pace", but also suggestions of modifications for those with weak knees (ding, ding!! 2nd Question answered!) or weak back.

We did everything from push ups, to rows with the body bars--which was a KILLER considering I had a 15lb body bar!--to calve raises, to...things I don't even know the proper terms for, haha.

The gist of the class is to help you build muscle. The only thing that was truly difficult were the excessive amounts of squats. But again, with the 'go your own pace' attitude, I took it in stride.

I was so. sore. for 3 days after taking the class. To the point that I honestly had a hard time walking for 2 of those days. My inner thighs burned so bad. But my thighs are starting to look good, so I won't complain--too much. ;-)

I've taken the class twice now. I'm trying to go once a week. It's semi-difficult to get to the class because it's during the lunch hour and 1) I like to eat, plus 2) I have to leave my desk early so I can dress out, and then have to dress back into my work clothes, which eats up an extra half hour that I have to make up at the end of the day. But like I said, legs and arms are looking good, so I can't really complain.

The first day there the instructor (who also happens to be my trainer) counted 46 people in attendance. She said it was the largest class she had ever seen, and hind-sight, she probably should have cut the class at 35 or so. The second class I've attended, there were about 35 or so. Again, I've heard that's unusual. The influx is generally due to those who have made new years resolutions--so I've heard, anyway. Maybe the class will thin out as the months wear on.

All in all, Muscle Works was a fun, tough workout and I'm looking forward to adding it to my exercise routine.

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment