Friday, March 4, 2011

Take those feelings and shove it!

My diet this week has been TERRIBLE. And I mean diet in the sense of what I've been eating. I fully realize that what I'm attempting to do is a lifestyle change, but in the holistic sense of the word, my diet has been terrible.

I will say, this week started well. I had 2 days where I ate salads, I was being mindful of what was being eaten, what the portions were, etc. Tuesday evening began my downfall. Wednesday found me pigging out. Thursday was ok. Lunch consisted of a lean pocket and yogurt. Dinner was the rest of the bag of twizzlers. Nothing more, nothing less. And today all I wanted to do was just stuff my face. Human garbage disposal. Eat, eat, eat, eat, eat. Sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar. 1 bottle of water.

And even as I'm ordering what I'm ordering, I'm thinking, "this sounds disgusting. I don't want this food." And yet, I still eat it.

This week has been an emotional roller coaster for me, too. My grandfather is not doing well (prayers for him, please). And Thursday, I gave a speech in a contest about my experiences with a tragedy. And there's this whole other thing called work and working in DC and all the drama that's going on with that lately....I'm going to become a gray-haired woman before I'm 26!

So many emotions come what's going on in my life right now--am I trying to stuff them away with food? Or am I using food as a comforting agent to make me feel better after stress? And if that's the case, how do I fix it?

I'd say, dive right in to exercise. Except, right now my knees are screwed up (found out today at Physical Therapy that they think one of my tendons is messed up, which would explain the pain...not a lot there can be done about that except for Rest Ice Compression and Elevation), and I'm already doing as much as I can, working out 5-6 days/week--which probably explains the weight loss I'm seeing on the scale and miraculously no weight gain...yet.

Any suggestions on how to not take those feelings and shove 'em? How do you deal with cravings and overeating?

4 comments:

  1. It's not a diet Meg, it's a lifestyle change! And that's the way we have to approach it! We have to change our mindset and our lives!

    I believe in you! You can do it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Brittany said it correctly: It isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change.

    Ok, forgive me for getting onto my soapbox, but I really (yes, TRULY) believe that the food you are eating is contributing to your stress levels. Sorry to hear about everything that is going wrong; it always seems like EVERYTHING comes down at once, right?! Anyone would be stressed with all of that going on. However, I am LIVING PROOF that what you eat MATTERS. If you eat ENOUGH raw fruits and veggies, I PROMISE it will lower your stress levels. Let me repeat that: I PROMISE (YES, PROMISE) IT WILL LOWER YOUR STRESS LEVELS. There are doctors who claim that they can cure ANY disease with proper nutrition, and I am one of them.

    Here is what I would suggest for this week: REST and PROPER nutrition. Don't worry about the scale or pant sizes; rather worry about eating HEALTHY foods this week.

    Ideas:
    Raw Fruit (not too much... a hand full in the morning)
    Blueberries
    Strawberries
    (NO Bananas, pineapple, etc. These have entirely too much sugar)

    Raw Veggies (LOTS)
    Broccoli (steam just for a min)
    Cauliflower
    ASPARAGUS
    Celery
    Snap Beans (saute these w garlic)
    Edamame (steam just for a min)

    Low Fat Protein:
    Chicken
    Turkey
    NO RED MEAT!

    This might be hard to hear... but....... NO CAFFEINE! NONE! That will really mess up your system if you are eating "clean" foods.

    I say this to everyone. Don't worry about an off week. We all have them - myself included. You have come a LONG way. Just keep the goal in mind: HEALTH. Health isn't a pant size or a number on the scale. Health is measured by physical and emotional well-being.

    Call me if you need anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I didn't mean to type I am one of the doctors who supports a raw diet. I'm not a doctor. I meant that I, myself, was "cured" from emotional problems, anxiety, high blood pressure, etc with ONLY proper nutrition. ;)

    Just had to clarify!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so agree- its a LIFESTYLE change- it'll take time girl. you'll be just fine. promise! xo

    ReplyDelete