Monday, February 14, 2011

I miss running

As you know, my knees are messed up. A couple of weeks ago, I was diagnosed with OsteoArthritis.

I found out at Physical Therapy, I'm flat footed.

Which means....any time I do anything on my feet, the shock absorption goes from my feet into my knees, into my hips and eventually, into my lower back. Yeah....no bueno.

Along with PT (which has been good, and yet...surprisingly, my knees hurt MORE now that I'm strengthening my thighs with PT), I was prescribed injections. No, not injections like steroids or cortisone...they make injections out of the comb of a rooster...


Kinda, sorta, really gross to imagine. But aside from feeling like there's fluid on my knee and being a bit tender, I think it might just work. We'll see. I still have 4 more injections in the right knee to go (1 per week)--and then I have 5 injections on the left knee. Whoopdeedoo...

The long and short of this all is--I miss (and I mean MISS) running. I want to go for a run so bad. I miss the feeling of my lungs feeling exhausted. I miss my calves being skinny. I miss getting my stress out from the days' work being able to think "you think I can't do ? Well, I'm going to PROVE.YOU.WRONG. And how am I going to prove you wrong? By running as far and as hard as I can."

I need to find me a good pair of shoes and find some orthotics for flat-footed people.

I miss doing jazzercise. It's a really fun class, but seriously, it kills my knees. Even the low-impact version.

I think I need to get into swimming again, although I don't feel like I get a great workout from it like I do with running (maybe because you can't feel a good sweat if you're actually IN water?).

Le sigh. I need to get to my knee stretches/exercises before heading to bed. But to end on a positive note, last week I lost ~2.5 lbs. This week I lost nothing, but I didn't gain anything either, so for that, I'm grateful!
Meg

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, Megs: I'm so sorry!

    However, I have to say I think more than anything I am more scared of the picture of the rooster...good luck, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dahnya! Yeah, the rooster scares me, too. I have a HUGE fear of roosters/birds. I've decided to start naming them tho, haha. They did, after all, sacrifice their 'do' for my knees. Makes them less-scary that way. :)

    ReplyDelete