Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Glutton for Gluten and Measurements

I love pasta. And bread. And lots of pasta and bread. I do. If I could eat pasta or bread 3 times a day, I probably would. These things are good only in moderation, and really, if you're trying to lose weight or be any sort of health conscious, you should probably eat wheat pasta/bread and only in moderation.

But what about the gluten? According to the ever-famous wikipedia (that we all know is never wrong and is the instant go-to source for information *please read that as sarchastic*), gluten is found in wheat, rye and barley...it helps dough rise and keep shape.

The article talks about what I want to talk about tonight: Gluten sensitivity. What's the big deal? People, I guess, can be allergic to gluten. As far as I know, there isn't any test that can prove the sensitivity. Trial and error, I guess.

I've been reading up on it a little bit, and I think I'm going to give it a whirl. It can't hurt, right?

PS, I picked up a box of gluten free breakfast bars at an organic store. Honestly, they tasted pretty good. Maybe this'll be good after all.

Today I decided that I would make some spaghetti squash. First, let me say, a 4 pound spaghetti squash could feed probably 8 people. I didn't quite realize that when I bought it. So, I now have lunch and dinner for the next several days, haha.

I also decided to hit the gym this afternoon. I was able to do 2.5 miles in 45 minutes. 35 of those minutes were at 3.5mph. I am honestly impressed with myself. Not only because I was able to do 2.5 miles of walking in 45 minutes, but because up until today, I have NEVER been able to walk at 3.5mph, without having to actually jog and get out of breath. 3.0mph had been a stretch at some points. I'd be out of breath and physically in pain with calves burning at 3.5mph. Today I was able to walk and wasn't out of breath. So no matter what the scale says, I know that I'm healthier than I was even a month ago.

So, given that, I decided to take measurements tonight of everything from my neck, to my arms, to my calves and ankles (and everything in between). That's a true realization as to how unhealthy I truly am. But it's also motivation to keep on keepin on!

Annnd, this has been pretty long, so....yeah.
Night!
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment